Nigerian Newspapers: 10 Things You Need To Know This Monday Morning
Good morning! Here is today’s summary from Nigerian Newspapers
1. At least, five soldiers were reportedly killed and two others kidnapped after suspected herdsmen clashed with some personnel in Logo LGA of Benue State on Sunday.
The attackers also burnt down Army patrol vehicles during the encounter, which also left many soldiers injured.
The Chairman, House Committee on Media and Public Affairs, Mr. Abdulrazak Namdas, assured that by Wednesday this week, the budget would have been sent to the President.
3. The Peoples Democratic Party has accused President Muhammadu Buhari of superintending over a corrupt fuel subsidy regime.
4. The Presidency on Sunday said the implication of re-electing a Peoples Democratic Party government in 2019 was that all the loot so far recovered from the members of the party and their cronies would be returned to them.
It said that was the thrust of the “change the change” campaign the PDP had been embarking on without defining exactly what it meant.
5. Troops of 1 Brigade, Nigerian Army, Sokoto, who are involved in ‘Operation IDON RAINI’ in Zamfara State said they have killed three bandits at Danmaijiya village in Maru Local Government Council.
The troops, according to the Assistant Director, Army Public Relations, Major Clement Abiade, encountered the bandits during clearance operations in Mahalu and Danmaijiya villages of Dansadau District during the weekend.
6. Some bandits in the early hours of Sunday stormed Manganda village, in Birnin-Gwari Local Government Area of Kaduna State and abducted three women.
The three women were said to be the wives of one Alhaji Adamu Nakwana, a businessman in the village.
7. The Rivers State Governor, Nyesom Ezenwo Wike has alerted Nigerians that the APC Federal Government is plotting to assassinate him in a crowd and claim accidental discharge.
The governor, who spoke during the third anniversary thanksgiving service of the Wike administration at Living Faith Church in D-Line, Port Harcourt on Sunday, said intelligence report available to them indicated that there were plots to assassinate him in a crowd and claim it was accidental discharge.
8. A chieftain of the ruling All Progressives Congress, APC, Timi Frank, has written an open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari, where he apologised to former President Goodluck Jonathan and lamented cases of corruption, battered economy, killings, hunger and injustice under the current administration.
Frank, who is a former Deputy National Publicity Secretary of APC, in the open letter released on Sunday in Abuja, titled: “Open letter to President Muhammadu Buhari on the state of the nation,” said government has shown total disdain for court pronouncements and the enforcement of fundamental human rights of citizens.
9. People living with HIV/AIDS, and 11 other groups weekend in Abuja, petitioned the Minister of Health, Isaac Adewole and his Labour and Employment counterpart, Senator Chris Ngige raising alarm that the ongoing health workers strike was worsening their situations.
They threatened to hold both Ministers accountable for any death of members or any other negative consequences the protracted industrial action would have on their lives or treatment
10. Five persons have been arrested by men of the Ondo State Police Command for allegedly raping two female teenagers in the Odoside area of Ondo town, OndoState.
The state police command spokesperson, Mr. Femi Joseph, said that the suspects tortured and raped the victims after which they allegedly recorded the scene in a video which they posted on the Internet.
You may be interested
Retired Judge, Olamide Olayode Mobilises Fund to Rebuild Yinka Ayefele’s Demolished N800m FM BuildingMT - August 20, 2018
The Deputy Governorship candidate of the African Democratic Congress in Osun State, Justice Olamide Olayode (rtd), has started mobilising Nigerians…
Arrested IPOB Women Sing Biafra Songs as they are Arraigned in Court (Photos)MT - August 20, 2018
Recently, female members of the Independent People of Biafra (IPOB), were arrested during a massive protest in Owerri, the Imo…
‘Fashola Should Stop Lying Against Jonathan and Give Nigerians Power’ – Reno OmokriMT - August 20, 2018
Popular critic, Reno Omokri has advised The Minister of Power, Babatunde Raji Fashola, to stop lying against Jonathan and instead…