The Lagos State government on Sunday said plans have been concluded to stage this year’s edition of the Lagos street carnival scheduled to hold on December 3 on Oba Akran Avenue in Ikeja.
The Special Adviser to Governor Akinwunmi Ambode on Tourism, Arts and Culture, Adebimpe Akinsola, in an interview with journalists, said the venue of the carnival would be shut down but adequate preparations have been made for alternative routes to mitigate the impact of the road closure on motorists and residents.
Dubbed, “Lagos Street Party’’ in its maiden edition last year, the event has grown into a carnival to mark the start of the ministry’s end of the year activities.
It is also designed to celebrate the multi-cultural nature of Lagosians and reposition the state as a formidable cultural destination.
Speaking on security arrangements already put in place, Akinsola said, “To this end, several adjoining roads would be closed on the day of the carnival while alternative routes could be accessed by road users. We like to assure Lagosians and visitors that efforts are in place to ensure that the venue and environs are safe and incident-free. We expect more visitors this year and a lot more will be coming. In terms of security and crowd control, the Ministry of
Tourism, Arts and Culture is not working alone. We are working with the police, Lagos State Traffic Management Authority (LASTMA), Federal Road Safety Corps (FRSC), Fire service, LASAMBUS and the Lagos State Waste Management Agency (LAWMA). All of them are onboard and people are not going to see Oba Akran on Monday in a dirty state,’’ Akinsola said.