December 18, 2018
Entertainment Featured News World News

Kevin Hart Steps Down as Oscar Host, Apologizes for Old Anti-gay Tweets

Kevin Hart has stepped down as host of the 2019 Oscars, also apologizing for homophobic comments he made in the year 2009 and 2010.

The actor-comedian made the announcement on Twitter late Thursday night, along with an apology to the LGBTQ community, after his past anti-gay comments resurfaced. He wrote;

I have made the choice to step down from hosting this year’s Oscar’s….this is because I do not want to be a distraction on a night that should be celebrated by so many amazing talented artists. I sincerely apologize to the LGBTQ community for my insensitive words from my past.

Earlier in a video posted to Instagram Hart, refused to say sorry despite receiving an ultimatum from Oscars bosses. The decision which drew a lot of criticism on the internet. He said in the video;

“I just got a call from the Academy and that call basically said, ‘Kevin, apologize for your tweets of old or we’re going to have to move on and find another host.’ I’m talking about the tweets from 2009 and 2010,” he said.

“I chose to pass on the apology. The reason why I passed is because I’ve addressed this several times. This is not the first time this has come up. I’ve addressed it. I’ve spoken on it. I’ve said where the rights and wrongs were.

“I’ve said who I am now versus who I was then. I’ve done it. I’m not going to continue to go back and tap into the days of old when I’ve moved on and I’m in a completely different place in my life.

The announcement of Hart as Oscars host earlier this week sparked an angry backlash after homophobic comments from the comedian resurfaced online.

Several of the tweets were screenshot by Twitter users like journalist Benjamin Lee and spread online, sparking an angry reaction.

 

Related Posts

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *