Air Force Destroys Artillery Guns Belonging To Boko Haram
The Air Force said yesterday that it has destroyed artillery guns belonging to Boko Haram terrorists in Sambisa forest with a Remotely Piloted Aircraft (RPA).
The Director of Public Relations and Information, Air Vice Marshal Olatokunbo Adesanya, in a statement supported with a video clip, said the operation was conducted after an Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance platform confirmed the presence of the terrorists weapons.
The statement reads: “A Nigerian Air Force (NAF) remotely piloted aircraft (RPA), on February 6, successfully destroyed an artillery gun belonging to the Boko Haram Terrorists (BHTs) in Sambisa Forest.
“A NAF Intelligence Surveillance and Reconnaissance (ISR) platform sighted the artillery gun while on a routine surveillance on the outskirt of the Sambisa general area.
“Consequently, the surveillance ISR aircraft requested for an immediate air strike and a NAF RPA was deployed to interdict the target. Overhead the target location, the RPA acquired and attacked the target, completely destroying the artillery gun and setting it ablaze.
“NAF aircraft continue to survey the Sambisa Forest and environs as part of the ongoing coordinated air and land operations aimed at ridding the country of the remnants of the insurgents.”
Boko Haram leader Abubakar Shekau released a video on Tuesday, pledging to continue attacks, days after the military reiterated that the terrorist group had been defeated.
Shekau, in the video, said a recent offensive to clear out Boko Haram’s stronghold of Sambisa forest in Borno State failed; he vowed to keep fighting against Nigeria and western education.
“The person who believes in nationalism is the one we are at war with, the person who believes in disseminating western education, which is replete with unbelief, is the one we fight,” Shekau said in the 11-minute video.
Nigeria has repeatedly claimed it has beaten Boko Haram, whose name means “Western education is forbidden” in the Hausa language.
President Muhammadu Buhari said the jihadists were “technically defeated” in December 2015.
Boko Haram’s capacity has been weakened since 2014 when it controlled swathes of territory in the Northeast, but still poses a threat.
Last Sunday, Boko Haram fighters stormed a village in the Northeast, killing two people. Six were killed in an attack on northern Cameroon.
At least, 20,000 people have been killed in nearly nine years of the violence and more than 2.6 million rendered homeless, triggering a humanitarian crisis across the Lake Chad region.
You may be interested
Popular Blogger, Linda Ikeji, Reveals Gender Of Her BabyPH - May 20, 2018
Popular Nigerian blogger, Linda Ikeji has revealed the gender of her baby. This is as the social media is buzzing…
Popular Blogger, Linda Ikeji, Is PREGNANTPH - May 20, 2018
Fashion blogger, Laura Ikeji, has announced that her sister Linda Ikeji who is a popular blogger is pregnant and expecting…
APC Chieftain Apologises To Jonathan, Claims Buhari-led Administration Has Battered Nigeria’s EconomyPH - May 20, 2018
A Chieftain of the All Progressives Congress (APC), Timi Frank, has publicly apologised to former President Goodluck Jonathan claiming that…